Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thank you? Really?

Recently, we were given a homework assignment to write a thank you letter to the dancers and drummers from PVPA that came in to dance for us. Clearly, our teachers expect something along the lines of:

February 4, 2009
Dear Isobel and Company,

Thank you very much for your wonderful performance today. I find it amazing
that you can memorize all those moves and rhythms and coordinate them so perfectly.
How long have you been practicing? I suppose a while…

I really enjoyed the part where you all started playing with drumsticks and dancing at the same time. That was amazing! It must have been hard to play all the rhythms on the drum so fast and still keep the same exact pace as your group.

It was fun to dance and play along with you all. Plus, it was an interesting change to hear Fanga played differently. With a little practice, I might even be able to play it all.

Again, thank you, and thank you for taking the time to read my letter.
Sincerely, *************

However, let's face it, sometimes our school makes us lie about things to people.

So here's my real letter:

February 4, 2009
Dear Isabel and Company,

Your performance today was entertaining. While I'm not extremely interested in African dancing or drumming, it was amazing that you could move your hands that fast while playing drums.

It was nice of you to spend some time at our school while you could've been doing something different. I thank you for this.

I found it hard to follow what I was supposed to be doing during the drums part because the drummer showing us just played the part and expected us to learn it. Understandable, of course, since he's a drummer and could probably learn just by looking at someone playing drums.

Personally, the dancing was not to my taste. Frankly, I thought we all looked ridiculous, and was reminded of this by Fiona McNeal, who laughed at our performance, and "the look on [my] face while [I] danced."
Anyway, thanks.

Sincerely,
*******************

9 comments:

  1. True, very true. You must really hate our teachers though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes very good point. My personal annoyance is when we lose "transition" letters in the middle of class. This is plain ridiculous. A transition isn't giggling in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't hate our teachers. Actually, the only reason I wrote this is because I think that thank you notes are only good if you mean them, and they should be optional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the whole letter thing but i definitely dont hate our teachers because compared to many other teachers they are pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, our teachers aren't BAD but their not the best teachers I've had, and they're pretty good at finding ways to loose transition letters on us and then they say it was our fault

    ReplyDelete
  7. I said "Jenny Rocks!!!".... does anyone care??? its been 4 whole months and nobody cares...

    ReplyDelete